Hannah is the Founder, Operations Manager and Chairperson of The Therapy Box. She has worked in aged care as a Diversional Therapist, Diversional Therapy Tutor and as an Injury Prevention and Management Coordinator. She is passionate about making meaningful activities more accessible in aged care. In her spare time Hannah enjoys playing with her two dogs and two rabbits, sewing, millinery, and baking tasty treats. Hannah’s handmade crafts feature in some of our library games.
Some people are naturally skilled crafters. Others are doing well to cut paper in a reasonably straight line. No matter which group you fall into, crafting with your residents can be beneficial for all involved.
Few things bring groups together like crafting. Here are some of the good things that come out of crafting with your residents.
* Crafting builds creativity. People need a creative outlet, and crafting provides the opportunity for residents to use their imaginations. It can help preserve their ability to solve problems, or generate a new interest in art!
* For residents, getting creative can help reduce stress and promote using the brain in ways that we don't have a reason to use it every day.
* Almost any type of craft promotes hand-eye coordination.
* It gives Residents and Diversional Therapists a chance to talk. Passive activities such as watching TV do little to encourage conversation. But when you're crafting together, talking comes naturally. You can seize the opportunity to discuss such things as your residents's interests and concerns.
* Crafting is a great way to wind down.
* For residents who wander, giving them something to focus on is a good reason to sit still for a while.
* Creating things is a confidence booster. Residents who craft regularly know the feeling of accomplishment when a project is complete. Crafting can help build positive self-esteem.
* Working on a project together is a great way to encourage teamwork at your facility. Residents can help other Residents.
* Crafting creates treasured memories. The finished product will serve as a reminder to the Resident and their family of the fun they had making it.
Crafting is a fun activity that can be enjoyed by all. If you are stuck for ideas why not hire Activity Box #19 - Bits'n'Bobs? It contains a set of foam stampers and brushes for a dementia-friendly craft activity.